D.S

mashable.com

Days after the Brussels attacks, their loved ones are still missing

Days after the Brussels attacks, their loved ones are still missing Mashable We're using cookies to improve your experience. Click Here to find out more. Mashable Mashable Mashable Australia Mashable France Mashable India Mashable UK Sign in Like Follow Follow Mashable see more  > Search Videos Social Media Tech Business Entertainment World Lifestyle Watercooler Shop More Channels Videos Social Media Tech Business Entertainment World Lifestyle Watercooler Shop Company About Us Licensing & Reprints Archive Mashable Careers Contact Contact Us Submit News Advertise Advertise Legal Privacy Policy Terms of Use Cookie Policy Apps iPhone / iPad Android Resources Subscriptions Sites Mashable Shop Job Board Social Good Summit World Like Follow Follow Days after the Brussels attacks, their loved ones are still missing 695 Shares Share Tweet Share What's This? A woman looks at a poster of a missing person at a memorial for victims of attacks in Brussels on Wednesday, March 23, 2016.Image: AP/Valentin Bianchi By Megan Specia 2016-03-25 13:36:43 UTC BRUSSELS — In the chaos that followed Tuesday's attacks here, family members have been frantically searching for their loved ones.  Information about the victims has been slow to trickle in. Families are still waiting for news as Friday morning's rain washed away messages of peace written in chalk on the square where Brussels residents have gathered. Meanwhile, the hospital where many of the victims were taken is surrounded by armed military guards. SEE ALSO: The victims of the Brussels attacks Levi Sutton's brother Jeff Shults and his wife Stephanie Shults are still missing. More than 70 hours after the attacks, his family still has no answers. The American couple, who are originally from Gatlinburg, Tennessee, and Lexington, Kentucky, had been living in Brussels since 2014. For all those asking, we haven't gotten any updates today and we are going on almost 70 hours without contact from them. This is crazy. — Popcorn Sutton (@PopcornSutton__) March 25, 2016 They had just dropped off Stephanie's mother at the airport when the blasts rocked the terminal. No one in their family has heard from them since. Earlier this week, the U.S. State Department told the family that the Shults had been found alive, but that information was quickly walked back, according to Sutton. He said a Belgian social worker told the family that the information that they were found alive was not confirmed. Statement from Levi Sutton on the information given to his family by the State Department. Image: Twitter/PopcornSutton_ Mashable has reached out to the State Department for comment, but has not received a reply. Posted by Levi Sutton on  Tuesday, March 22, 2016 Howest University student Bart Migom had been missing since the attacks. His girlfriend, American Emily Eisennan, was appealing to the public for any information on his whereabouts, remaining hopeful that he would turn up alive. "Bart is a very godly man. he will do anything for anybody else. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was harmed because he was trying to save someone else," Eisenman told CNN on Thursday . "I'm sure he doesn’t want me to worry, and he doesn’t want our families to worry." But hours later on Thursday, the family's worst fears were confirmed: Migom was formally identified that night.  "This morning we received the sad news from Bart's parents that Bart Migom, second-year Marketing student at Howest, has passed away. Last night he has been identified as one of the victims of Tuesday's atrocious acts of terror," wrote Managing Director of Howest, Lode De Geyter, in a statement on the University's Facebook page . "Our thought go out to Bart's family, and we convey our deepest sympathies to his parents, brother and sister." Students and faculty gathered to remember him on Friday. Studenten en personeel HOwest Brugge herdenken overleden medestudent pic.twitter.com/2gp2zJOBae — Tijs Mauroo (@TijsMauroo) March 25, 2016 An excruciating wait over the long weekend  A spokesperson told Mashable that 14 people are currently being treated in the burn unit of the country's Koningin Astrid Military Hospital in Neder-over-Heembeek. Five of those victims have the most serious level of injury, and the other nine are in stable condition. Mashable attempted to contact the Erasme Hospital, where many victims were also taken after the attacks, but hospital representatives said no information would be given to the public until Tuesday, after a long holiday weekend in the country.  Meanwhile on Friday, international embassies are slowly confirming fatalities. Chinese officials confirmed at least one citizen was killed in the attacks.  Secretary of State John Kerry confirmed that two Americans were among the dead during a brief statement made after a meeting with Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel, but he declined to offer numbers or identify who they were. However, the family of brother and sister Sascha and Andrew Pincz